Might not be ready yet – but think this 2-5 years into the future with better text to speech and more realistic presenters. Miss Croft – read me those blogs please… 🙂http://newsatseven.com/
Quite a few people have been asked me what new technology I think will become big in 2007. Not sure I have any super insights – but here are some of the areas that I have been looking at:
– SIP. Think this is the year where more and more mobile phones will be wifi and SIP enabled. I have already been playing with Nokia's wifi phones (E61 and N80) and they work very well with our internal phone system as well as new(ish) VOIP providers. The companies to look after in this area is Truphone and Gizmo. Both have easy(ish) system that allow you to speak for free (or very cheap) over a wifi network on your mobile.
– Eco tech. Think that 2007 will be much about global warming and a general youth push towards more responsibility towards the nature (or maybe I just hope).. So I think you will see much more from tech companies that work within carbon neutral energy. At the venice project we are proud to use Alternative Cars (www.alternative–
cars.co.uk) who only run on bio diesel – but also companies like Vestas (windmills) and Novo's new move into enzymes which can create bio diesel. (www.novozymes.com)
– Broadband Video. Well, I am sure it doesnt come as a big surprise that I think that 2007 will be the year where 2007 will become mainstream. With 35% broadband penetration in major markets and the audience getting more and more used to watching video online, I think 2007 will be the start of video moving online. I dont necessary think that people will stop watching tv in the living rooms on their big monitors – however, I do think that the traditional way of distributing tv has become dated in relation to people's expectation of watching what they want – when they want as well as an increasing need for personalization and community. Expect big things from us at The Venice Project but also look forward to great gadgets from companies like Sling, inspiring design and UI from Apples tv box and exciting features and ideas from the host of new companies that will get into this space in 2007.
– Wildcard.. 2D bar codes. They have been big in asia for years and have yet to be used at all in western europe and the US. The basic idea is that you create a 2d bar code that can store quite a bit of information (e.g. websites, phone numbers and so on). U then point you camera phone at the bar code and then get all the information stored on your phone (it can also get the phone to open a link). There is a new barcode reader in the Nokia N80 phones and so this might be the year where people will start to add 2d bar codes to business cards and print commercials. However, both short sms codes and bluetooth transfer might kill off this idea before it get started. Interesting reading:http://blogs.s60.com/tommi/2006/12/2d_barcode_manifesto.htmlOnline generator:http://nfggames.com/system/qrcodegen.phphttp://www.sample.org.uk/blog/?action=post&post=mobile_barcoder
– Other buzz words to get ready for in 2007:Interesting: Wireless USB, Ultra Mobile PC, applications that uses gps in phones, $100 computers for 3rd world, Open source beats big corps.. (go firefox go)Boring: WiMax, Net Neutrality, HighDef, User generated News/Reviews/ Whatever, Vista
Will try to think of some more stuff and post…
Just been looking at my own blog.. God damm its geeky 🙂 So why not
just go all the way.. Not sure if you know what Visio is but its used
for all sort of diagram drawing wonders. Now there is an online
version that can do most of the stuff. It seems that more and more of
the promise of served based software is becoming reality.. Interesting..
Venice Vs Aibo – video powered by Metacafe